Kids’ Pool Party
Ahhhh, a swimming pool. There’s nothing quite like it! A swimming pool is most certainly a private oasis or backyard vacation for close friends and family. But why stop there? Share the fun with a pool party for classmates, coworkers or neighbours! Whether it’s an end of school celebration for the kids, or a mid-summer lounge with friends, or even an end of summer bash, a pool party is on the top of everyone’s list of great summer fun. We’ve compiled some important tips to help make your party a serious splash with your guests!
The following tips and suggestions will help make your swimming pool party planning a breeze.
1. Choose a theme: Hawaiian Luau. Surf’s Up. Inflatable Fun. There are all kinds of fun products on the market to deck out your swimming pool in a chosen theme or style. The best rule of thumb here is… whatever floats your boat! Have fun with it!
2. Invitations: Set the stage for your pool party by sending invitations that highlight your theme. Invitations can be homemade of store bought. Check out your local dollar store for some great ideas. There are a lot of online options to create your own as well. Also be sure to include anything that your guests need to bring – sunscreen, beach towel, covered dish or snack, drinks, etc.
3. Safe water: Make sure to have your water tested before your party. You want your water chemistry to be balanced and safe for swimmers. Come on in to see us. We offer free water testing at all four of our retail locations in Kingston, Belleville, Brockville and Cornwall!
4. Decorations: Turn your backyard swimming pool into a tropical oasis with inflatable palm trees, tiki statues and tiki torches (citronella ones can provide protection from pesky insects). For an evening pool party, create ambience by hanging paper lanterns over the pool. Drape brightly colored beach towels over chairs for each of your guests. Sprinkle a runner of sand across a table and place some seashells or a candle in the center for a beachy feel.
Pool Party Decorations
5. Chairs: Make sure you’ve got plenty of lounge and beach chairs around the swimming pool for your guests. And don’t forget to put some in the shade! Need some quality patio furniture to dress up your deck? We have lot’s in stock!
6. Activities: Have plenty of rafts available for adults and inflatable beach balls and innertubes, as well as diving sticks and other water toys. Having a children’s birthday party? Balloons make a colorful fun addition to swimming pools – hang them up or let them float on top of the water.
7. Food: Grilling out by the swimming pool is always a good choice-the smells and sounds add sizzle to your pool party. Have a condiment tray available and serve snacks that won’t spoil in the sun, such as tortilla chips and salsa, pretzels, crackers, fruit and veggies. Serve the food on plastic recyclable plates (keep all breakables away from the swimming pool) with plastic eating utensils. Don’t forget to have some great vegetarian options available like veggie burgers and veggie dogs.
Pool Party Food Table – St. Lawrence Pools
8. Beverages: Fill a cooler up with bottled waters, lemonade, sodas, juice boxes and ‘grownup drinks’ and keep plenty of ice on hand.
9. Music: Play your favorite summer tunes outside on waterproof speakers. If you don’t have waterproof speakers, make sure you keep your radio or stereo far enough away from splash zone!
10. Shade spots: Provide guests with some shelter from the hot summer sun! If you don’t have trees in your yard that provide shade, be sure to provide a beach umbrella, a canopy or extra sunhats.
11. Bug Spray: Keep those uninvited pesky guests away!
12. First Aid Kit: A standard for any swimming pool.
13. Supervision: Always make sure that an adult is supervising children in the swimming pool at all times. Designate an adult or have adult’s takes shifts. Ensure that the supervisor knows that they must keep their eyes on the pool at all times, including scanning the bottom of the pool. No cell phones or any other forms of distraction should be allowed. You could even have a pool supervisor badge or neck card for the supervisor to wear. Get your free neck card at St. Lawrence Pools.
Water Watcher Card
14. Stuff to have on hand: Sunscreen, extra towels, plastic bags for people to take home their wet swimming suits and towels.
Use this as a guideline but make your own pool party checklist based on the theme you’ve chosen and the guests you’ve invited. It only takes a few minutes, and with this as a starter for your own pool party-you’re well on your way to throwing a bash your family and friends are sure to remember!
Come in to see our great selection of pool toys and accessories, including pool noodles, diving toys, swimming diapers, floating chairs and so much more! Visit us online at www.stlawrencepools.ca, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Most importantly, have fun!
Pool Parties Create Smiles!